Harrisburg, PA - Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with groups of senior citizens, service providers, students, and the public, throughout the month of October to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf’s Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For Senior Citizens
The presentation “Investment Fraud Bingo” – an interactive presentation to help participants learn ways to protect themselves from investment frauds – will be offered at the following locations:
Department staff will be participating in the following senior citizen expos:
- Palmyra Senior Center at 101 S. Railroad Street in Palmyra (Lebanon County) on October 3 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM
- McCullough Place at 500 Cheney Oaks Drive in Johnstown (Cambria County) on October 6 from 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM
- Bloomsburg Senior Center at 229 West 6th Street in Bloomsburg (Columbia County) on October 9 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- Crispus Attucks Active Living Center at 605 South Duke Street in York (York County) on October 11 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- Benton Senior Center at 42 Community Drive in Benton (Columbia County) on October 15 from 10:30 Am to 11:30 AM
- Northeastern Senior Center at 131 Center Street in Mount Wolf (York County) on October 17 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
- Annville Senior Center at 200 S. White Oak Street in Annville (Lebanon County) on October 19 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM
- September House Senior Center at 1251 W. King Street in York (York County) on October 23 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM
- Abington Senior Community Center at 1151 Winola Road in Clarks Summit (Lackawanna County) on October 24 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- Phoenixville Area Senior Center at 153 Church Street in Phoenixville (Chester County) on October 26 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM
- Golden Connection Senior Center at 20 Gotham Place in Red Lion (York County) on October 30 from 10:00 Am to 11:00 AM
- Rep. Parke Wentling’s Senior Expo at St. John’s the Evangelist Parish Center at 1001 Main Street E in Girard (Erie County) on October 4 from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM
- Sen. Tom Killion’s Senior Expo at Penn State – Brandywine Campus at 25 Yearsley Mill Road in Media (Delaware County) on October 4 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Sen. John Sabatina’s Senior Expo at PA National Guard Armory at 2700 Southampton Road in Philadelphia on October 5 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Concord Township 2018 Senior Citizen Expo at Brandywine Youth Club Gymnasium at 41 Thornton Road in Glen Mills (Delaware County) on October 11 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Rep. Martin Causer’s 16th Annual Senior Citizens’ Expo at Roulette Fire Department at 12 River Street in Roulette (Potter County) on October 12 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Rep. David Millard’s 15th Annual Senior Citizens’ Expo at Espy Firehall at 300 Tenny Street in Bloomsburg (Columbia County) on October 24 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Westmoreland County Area Agency on Aging’s 18th Annual Health and Education Expo at Ramada Hotel and Conference Center on Route 30 East in Greensburg (Westmoreland County) on October 24 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM
- Ladore Salvation Army 16th Annual Lackawanna and Wayne County Senior Expo at Ladore Pavilion at 287 Owego Turnpike in Waymart (Lackawanna County) on October 25 from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM
- Sen. Mike Regan’s Senior Expo at West Shore YMCA at 410 Fallowfield Road in Camp Hill (Cumberland County) on October 25 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- 2018 Elder Care Senior Expo sponsored by Eldercare Council of Warren and Forest Counties at the TAWC/ACC building at 42 Clark Street in Warren (Warren County) on October 26 from 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM
Outreach staff will be participating in a series to help seniors increase awareness of financial fraud and predatory practices. “Steering Clear of Fraud” is sponsored by Chester Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. at Good Neighbor Senior Center at 1085 Hook Road in Darby Township (Delaware County) on October 12 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
The presentation “Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” – which helps consumers protect themselves from financial scams as well as informs victims of scams on how to get help – will be offered at St. John Neumann Place II Wellness Center at 2627 Mifflin Street in Philadelphia on October 17 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM.
Outreach staff will be hosting a vendor table during the annual Retired Seniors Volunteer Program (RSVP) recognition luncheon at Kalahari Resort, 250 Kalahari Boulevard in Pocono Manor (Monroe County) on October 25 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
For General Public
The presentation “Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” will be offered at the following locations:
- St. Therese Plaza at 4 St. Therese Court in Munhall (Allegheny County) on October 3 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM (Open to residents of St. Therese Plaza ONLY)
- Overlook Park at 445 Hanover Avenue, Suite 105 in Allentown (Lehigh County) on October 30 from 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM (Open to residents and guests ONLY)
The presentation “Avoiding Scams” will be offered to members of the Rotary Club of Jenkintown at Grace Presbyterian Church at 444 York Road in Jenkintown (Montgomery County) on October 9 from 12:15 PM to 2:00 PM. (Open to members of the Rotary Club of Jenkintown ONLY)
The presentation “Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” – and “Cybersecurity – Staying Safe on the Internet” (which covers key topics such as using secure websites, creating strong passwords, being aware of what you put on social media, and even tips for shopping online safely) will be combined and offered at Norristown CareerLink at 1855 New Hope Street in Norristown (Montgomery County) on October 17 from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM. Registration is required by calling 610-270-3429.
The STaRT (Start Today and Retire Tomorrow) program – which focuses on retirement planning, setting goals, and how to achieve those goals – will be offered at the Central PA Chamber of Commerce at 30 Lawton Lane, Board Room in Milton (Northumberland County) on October 5 from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
Department staff will participate in the Northwest Housing Conference and Job Fair at West Oak Lane Charter School at 7115 Stenton Avenue in Philadelphia on October 27 from 8:00 AM to 1:30 PM.
For Service Providers
Outreach staff will host a vendor table in the marketplace during the 2018 PAHMA Fall Conference at Seven Springs Convention Center at 777 Water Wheel Drive in Champion (Westmoreland County) on October 11 from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM. (Open to conference attendees ONLY)
Department staff will host three sessions during the “BeWise Conference – The Importance of Financial Education” sponsored by the Berks Coalition to End Homelessness at the DoubleTree by Hilton at 701 Penn Street in Reading (Berks County) on October 22. The sessions will be held at 10:40 AM, 1:25 PM, and 3:15 PM. Contact email@example.com or 610-372-7222 for more information. (Open to conference attendees ONLY)
The STaRT (Start Today and Retire Tomorrow) program will be offered to Central Penn College students at 600 Valley Road in Summerdale (Cumberland County) on October 31 from 12:10 PM to 1:10 PM. (Open to students of Central Penn College ONLY).
The department’s Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff works with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace. There are a variety of free, non-commercial programs [PDF] and presentations [PDF] available, or a program can be tailored to a specific group’s needs.
The department’s Calendar of Events can be found online: http://bit.ly/1KIscBZ. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, search #GovWolfCFPI on Twitter.
MEDIA CONTACT: Virginia Lucy - 717.214.4759
# # #