Harrisburg, PA - Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with groups of senior citizens, teachers, members of the military and veterans, service providers, and the public, throughout the month of November to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf’s Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For Senior Citizens
Outreach staff will present “Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” at the Friendship Circle Senior Center at 1515 Lansdown Avenue in Darby (Delaware County) on November 2 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM.
The presentation “Cybersecurity – Staying Safe on the Internet” – covering key topics such as using secure websites, creating strong passwords, being aware of what you put on social media, and even tips for shopping online safely – will be offered at The Williamsport Home at 1900 Ravine Road in Williamsport (Lycoming County) on November 8 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. (Open to residents and guests ONLY)
Outreach staff will present “Investment Fraud Bingo” at the following locations:
- Rutherford House at 3300 Parkview Lane in Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on November 9 from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM
- The Central Blair Center at 1320 12th Avenue in Altoona (Blair County) on November 16 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM
- Morrisville Senior Service Center, Inc. at 31 E. Cleveland Avenue in Morrisville (Bucks County) on November 27 from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM
- Berwick Senior Center at 1402 Orange Street in Berwick (Columbia County) on November 28 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- Kingston Active Adult Center at 335 Third Avenue in Kingston (Luzerne County) from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM
Department staff will be participating in Rep. Jared Solomon’s Senior Fair at St. Thomas Orthodox Church at 1009 Unruh Avenue in Philadelphia on October 17 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
For General Audiences
The presentation “Investment Fraud Bingo” – an interactive presentation to help participants learn ways to protect themselves from investment frauds – will be offered at the PA CareerLink Northwest Philadelphia at 5847 Germantown Avenue in Philadelphia on November 13 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
The presentation “Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” – which helps consumers protect themselves from financial scams as well as informs victims of scams on how to get help – will be offered at the following locations:
- Downtown Branch of Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh at 612 Smithfield Street in Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) on November 15 from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM
- Kreutz Creek Library at 66 Walnut Springs Road in Hellam (York County) on November 19 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM
- Collinsville Community Library at 2632 Delta Road in Brogue (York County) on November 19 from 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM
- Dover Area Community Library at 3 Davisburg Road in Dover (York County) on November 19 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Outreach staff will be presenting three programs in conjunction with the Pittsburgh North Regional Chamber (PNRC). Contact Kristina Hall at 724-934-9700 ext. 18 or khall@PghNorthChamber.com to register:
- PNRC “Meet and Move” Luncheon at the Pittsburgh Marriott North, 100 Cranberry Woods Drive in Cranberry Township (Butler County) on November 5 from 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM (Open to members and non-members; there is a fee).
- The STaRT (Start Today and Retire Tomorrow) program – which focuses on retirement planning, setting goals, and how to achieve those goals – at the following locations:
- Pittsburgh Connections, Wexford Office at 5000 Brooktree Road in Wexford (Allegheny County) on November 6 from 7:30 AM to 8:30 AM (Open to PNRC members ONLY)
- Pittsburgh Connections, Doubletree by Hilton Pittsburgh Cranberry at 910 Sheraton Drive in Mars (Butler County) on November 6 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM (Open to PNRC members ONLY)
For Military and Veterans
Department staff will be participating in the Veterans’ Expo and Job Fair at the Farm and Home Center at 1383 Arcadia Road in Lancaster (Lancaster County) on November 1 from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. (Open to Veterans and their families ONLY)
The PA Military Finance Alliance will host “Making $ense of Finance” – a free conference to educate members of the military, veterans, and their families on the unique financial and investment decisions they will face – during the PA National Guard Association’s Annual Conference at the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square at 25 South Queen Street in Lancaster (Lancaster County) on November 9 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Online registration is required for this event. (Open to military, veterans, and their families ONLY)
Department staff will present two webinars outlining various programs and presentations available to teachers for their students on November 7 at 3:00 PM and 6:30 PM. (Open to invited guests ONLY)
Outreach staff will participate in the Pennsylvania Business Education Association to discuss the various programs available through the department that target students at the Grantville Holiday Inn in Grantville (Dauphin County) on November 16 from 11:00 AM to 11:45 AM. (Open to conference attendees ONLY)
For Service Providers
Department staff will present the “Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation Prevention Program” – an innovative, research-based program that trains medical doctors, lawyers, social workers, senior services providers, and other partners to recognize and report financial abuse targeting their clients, especially those suffering from mild cognitive impairment – to the PA Housing Finance Agency in Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on November 6. (Open to invited guests ONLY)
The presentation “Senior$afe” – which helps financial professionals identify the “red flags” of suspicious behavior of their clients and/or those close to their clients – will be offered to the PA Credit Union Association in Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on November 8. (Open to invited guests ONLY)
The STaRT (Start Today and Retire Tomorrow) program will be offered to staff of the Montgomery County – Norristown Library in Norristown (Montgomery County) as part of their annual in-service day on November 8 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM (Open to library staff ONLY)
The department’s Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff works with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace. There are a variety of free, non-commercial programs [PDF] and presentations [PDF] available, or a program can be tailored to a specific group’s needs.
The department’s Calendar of Events can be found online here. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email email@example.com for more information. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, search #GovWolfCFPI on Twitter.
MEDIA CONTACT: Virginia Lucy - 717-214-4759
# # #