Harrisburg, PA - Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with groups of senior citizens, students and teachers, veterans, and the public throughout the month of March to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf’s Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For General Audiences
As part of “America Saves Week,” department staff is partnering with PA529 to offer “Creating a Spending Plan – A Road Map to Your Financial Goals” – which outlines the differences between wants and needs; setting “SMART” goals; creating a spending plan; and putting the plan into action – via webinar on March 1 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. Participants can register online.
Department staff will provide consumer protection, financial education, and investor education materials and publications during the National Consumer Protection Week Community Expo at Cornwall Manor – Freeman Community Center at 1 Boyd Street in Cornwall (Lebanon County) on March 4 from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
Staff will make the following presentations at the Pocono Alliance – Hughes Public Library, 1002 N. 9th Street in Stroudsburg (Monroe County):
- “Banking Basics” – an overview of how banks and credit unions work, including differences among types of accounts, what to do if you have past banking issues, and questions you should ask before opening an account – on March 4 from 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM.
- “Creating a Spending Plan” – which outlines the differences between wants and needs; setting “SMART” goals; creating a spending plan; and putting the plan into action – on March 4 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM.
- “Preparing for a Big Purchase” – focusing on the financial issues of buying a car or home, the importance of credit reports, and the impact of new purchases on other financial obligations – on March 4 from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM.
- “Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” – which helps consumers protect themselves from financial scams as well as informs victims of scams on how to get help – on March 7 from 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM.
- “Cybersecurity – Staying Safe Online” – covering key topics such as using secure websites, creating strong passwords, being aware of what you put on social media, and even tips for shopping online safely – on March 7 from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM.
- “Investment Fraud Bingo” – an interactive presentation to help participants learn ways to protect themselves from investment frauds – on March 7 from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM.
“Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” will be offered at PA CareerLink York County at 841 Vogelsong Road in York (York County) on March 5 from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
The presentation “Cybersecurity – Staying Safe Online” will be offered to members of the Manheim Chamber of Commerce at 15 E. High Street in Manheim (Lancaster County) on March 6 from 8:00 AM to 9:30 AM. (Open to Chamber members ONLY)
The presentation “Investment Fraud Bingo” will be offered at the following locations:
- Benco Dental at 295 Centerpoint Boulevard in Pittston (Luzerne County) on March 12 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM (Open to employees ONLY)
- Pleasant Recreation Center at 6757 Chew Avenue in Philadelphia on March 15 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
- Support Circles of Chambersburg at King Street Church, 162 East King Street in Chambersburg (Franklin County) in March 28 from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM (Open to Support Circles members ONLY)
The “STaRT (Start Today and Retire Tomorrow)” program – which focuses on retirement planning, setting goals, and how to achieve those goals – will be offered to members of the Downingtown-Thorndale Regional Chamber of Commerce at 216 E. Lancaster Avenue, Floor 2 in Downingtown (Chester County) on March 19 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM. (Open to Chamber members ONLY)
Department staff will be available during the PUC’s BUW Library Tour Consumer Resources and Utility Fair at the J. Lewis Crozer Library at 620 Engle Street in Chester (Delaware County) on March 19 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. The event is open to the public and light refreshments will be served. Note: this event was rescheduled from February 26.
The presentation “Senior$afe” – which helps financial professionals identify the “red flags” of suspicious behavior of their clients and/or those close to their clients – will be offered to employees of New Cumberland Federal Credit Union in New Cumberland (Cumberland County) on March 27 from 7:30 AM to 8:30 AM. (Open to employees ONLY)
For Senior Citizens and Service Providers
Department staff will provide consumer protection, financial education, and investor education materials and publications during the National Consumer Protection Week – Consumer Expo at Masonic Village – Brossman Ballroom, 1 Masonic Drive in Elizabethtown (Lancaster County) on March 8 from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
The presentation “Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” will be offered to members of the Council of Community Services who are senior service providers at LIFE Lawrence County at 2911 West State Street in New Castle (Lawrence County) on March 21 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM. (Open to members ONLY)
Staff will provide elder investment fraud prevention materials to senior citizens at the “Engage Your Body & Brain” Senior Education Day being held at the Philadelphia Corporation for Aging, 642 N. Broad Street in Philadelphia on March 23 from 12:00 PM to 1:30 PM.
The presentation “Save & Invest PA! – College Edition” – introducing students to basic investing-oriented concepts, as well as financial fraud prevention – will be offered to students at Penn State Harrisburg, Library 205A, 777 W. Harrisburg Pike in Middletown (Dauphin County) on March 15 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM.
Department staff will provide consumer protection, financial education, and investor education materials and publications to students registering for graduation during the Kutztown Graduation Festival at Kutztown University in Kutztown (Berks County) on March 25 and 26 from 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM. (Open to registering students ONLY)
Outreach staff will present the “FinLit Forum” – a conference-style program involving multiple state and non-profit agencies with the goal of equipping high school and college students with the critical financial knowledge needed to be successful in the next stages of their lives – at Penn College in Williamsport (Lycoming County) on March 29 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM. (Open to dual-enrolled students ONLY)
Department staff will present information to attendees of the PBEA Conference on the department’s revamped outreach efforts for their students, highlighting the “Save and Invest PA!” program and “FinLit Forum.” The conference will be held at the Holiday Inn Grantville, 304 Station Road in Grantville (Dauphin County) on March 22 from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. (Open to conference attendees ONLY)
Department staff will be available to provide consumer protection, financial education, and investor education materials and publications during the Veterans Expo and Job Fair at the Wyndham Hotel York, 2000 Loucks Road in York (York County) on March 26 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
The department’s Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff works with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace. There are a variety of free, non-commercial programs and presentations available, or a program can be tailored to a specific group’s needs.
The department’s Calendar of Events can be found online here. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email email@example.com for more information. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, search #GovWolfCFPI on Twitter.
MEDIA CONTACT: Virginia Lucy - 717.214.4759
# # #