Harrisburg, PA - Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with groups of senior citizens, veterans, service providers, and the public throughout the month of May to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf’s Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For General Audiences
“Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” – which helps consumers protect themselves from financial scams as well as informs victims of scams on how to get help – will be offered at the following locations:
· PA CareerLink Butler County, 112 Hollywood Drive, Suite 203 in Butler (Butler County) on May 16 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
· Hope Eternal UMC, 2 Burd Road in Newport (Perry County) on May 16 from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM
· The Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania, 30 North Third Street, Suite 600 in Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on May 14 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM (Open to association members ONLY)
“Cybersecurity: Keeping Yourself Safe Online” – which outlines the ins and outs of using the internet safely, creating strong passwords, and best practices for using social media and online shopping – will be offered at the following locations:
· PA CareerLink Montgomery County, 1855 New Hope Street, in Norristown (Montgomery County) on May 1 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM
· PA CareerLink Greene County, 200 Greene Plaza in Waynesburg (Greene County) on May 15 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
· PA CareerLink Mon Valley, 570 Galiffa Drive in Donora (Washington) on May 15 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM
· PA CareerLink Butler County, 112 Hollywood Drive, Suite 203 in Butler (Butler County) on May 16 from 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM
· Hope Eternal UMC, 2 Burd Road in Newport (Perry County) on May 16 from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM
Staff will also present at a series of events with the Pocono United Way at the Hughes Public Library, 1004 N. Ninth Street in Stroudsburg (Monroe County):
· “Spending Plans: The Fast Road to Financial Success” on May 2 from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM
· “Cybersecurity: Keeping Yourself Safe Online” on May 2 from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM
· “Fraud BINGO” on May 2 from 7:30 PM to 8:30 PM
· “Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” and “Fraud BINGO” on May 9 from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM
Department staff will be presenting “Pop-Up Talks” at the Pennsylvania Community Alliance Summit at the Harrisburg Hilton at 1 N. 2nd Street in Harrisburg on May 22. The talks will focus on:
· The Importance of Financial Education for the Disability Community
· An outline of the “Making $ense of Finance for Veterans” program
Outreach staff will present before the Correctional Education Association Annual Conference on the subject of “Why Successful Reentry Must include Financial Education” at the Wyndham Gettysburg at 95 Presidential Circle in Gettysburg on May 9 from 1:45 PM to 2:45 PM and 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM. (Open to attendees of the CEA PA Conference)
For Senior Citizens and Service Providers
“Fraud BINGO” will be offered to residents of Pleasant Valley Manor at 4225 Manor Drive in Stroudsburg on May 7 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM.
“Fraud BINGO” will be offered at the Allegheny Senior Center at 1900 West Allegheny Avenue in Philadelphia on May 28 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM.
Staff will be presenting on how to identify and report elder financial abuse at the William Neff Senior Symposium at the Bucks County Community College at 275 Swamp Road in Newtown (Bucks County) on May 28 from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. (Registration Required)
Staff will present the Senior$afe Presentation, part of the department’s Elder Financial Exploitation Program – which educates professionals who routinely work with older Pennsylvanians to recognize when their older clients may be vulnerable to or victims of financial abuse – in Dallas (Luzerne County) on May 11. (Event not open to public)
Staff will present the Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation Prevention Program –
which educates professionals who routinely work with older Pennsylvanians to recognize when their older clients may be vulnerable to or victims of financial abuse, particularly those with mild cognitive impairment – in Pottsville (Schuylkill County) on May 29. (Event not open to public)
Outreach staff will be available at the following legislative expos:
· Rep. Thomas L. Mehaffie’s Senior Expo at the Hummelstown Chemical Fire Department, 249 E. Main Street in Hummelstown (Dauphin County) on May 3 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM
· Reps. Peter Schweyer and Mike Schlossberg Senior Fair at East Side Youth Center, 1140 E. Clair Street in Allentown (Lehigh County) on May 17 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
· Sen. Lindsey Williams Senior Fair at the Springdale Veterans Association Banquet Hall, 1151 Pittsburgh Street in Springdale (Allegheny County) on May 10 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
For Military and Veterans
Members of the military, veterans, and their families are invited to the “Making $ense of Finance” conference, featuring Congressman Dwight Evans and State Representative Isabella Fitzgerald, at The Triumph Baptist Church, 1648 W. Hunting Park Avenue in Philadelphia on May 18 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Register at: https://www.secure.dobs.pa.gov/msof or by calling 717-783-4247.
The Veterans Expo and Job Fair will include information from outreach staff at the Crown Plaza Reading Hotel at 1741 Papermill Road in Wyomissing (Berks County) on May 30 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
The department’s Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff works with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace. There are a variety of free, non-commercial programs and presentations available, or a program can be tailored to a specific group’s needs.
The department’s Calendar of Events can be found online here. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email email@example.com for more information. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, search #GovWolfCFPI on Twitter.
MEDIA CONTACT: Trevor Monk - 717.346.4628
# # #