Harrisburg, PA - Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with groups of senior citizens, veterans, service providers, and the public throughout the month of June to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf’s Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For General Audiences
“Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” helps consumers protect against financial scams and explains how scam victims can get help. It will be offered at the following locations:
· Morrisville Library, 300 N Pennsylvania Avenue in Morrisville (Bucks County) on June 5 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
· The Friendship Center, 5000 Commons Drive in Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on June 19 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
“Cybersecurity: Keeping Yourself Safe Online” outlines how to use the internet safely, create strong passwords, and best practices for social media and online shopping. It will be offered at the following locations:
· Southampton Free Library, 947 Street Road in Southampton (Bucks County) on June 5 from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
· Township Library of Lower Southampton, 1983 Bridgetown Pike in Feasterville (Bucks County) on June 5 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
· Allegheny Senior Center, 1900 West Allegheny Avenue in Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on June 27 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM.
Staff will also be providing the “Avoiding Scams” and “Cybersecurity” programs in tandem at the following locations:
· The Barrett Community Center, 6683 PA-191 in Mountainhome (Monroe) on June 3 from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM.
· The Louder Senior Center, 62 Analomink Street in Stroudsburg (Monroe) on June 4 from 12:30 PM to 2:30 PM.
· The Mountain Center, 354 Memorial Boulevard in Tobyhanna (Monroe) on June 6 from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM.
· The Chestnuthill Center – Zion Lutheran Church Hall in Broadheadsville (Monroe) on June 7 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM
Staff will also present at a series of events with the Middle Smithfield Township Municipal Building, 147 Municipal Drive in East Stroudsburg (Monroe County) on June 11:
· “Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
· “Cybersecurity: Keeping Yourself Safe Online” from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
· “Fraud Bingo” from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
“Investing101” is an introduction to saving and investing, including why to save and invest, types of investments, and investigating before you invest. It will be offered at the following locations:
· Free Library of New Hope and Solebury, 93 W Ferry Street in New Hope (Bucks County) on June 6 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
· Free Library of Northampton Township, 25 Upper Holland Road in Richboro (Bucks County) on June 6 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
The “STaRT (Start Today and Retire Tomorrow)” program focuses on retirement planning, setting goals, and how to achieve those goals. It will be offered at Cleve J. Fredricksen Library, 100 N. 19th Street in Camp Hill (Cumberland County) on June 17 from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM.
For Senior Citizens
“Fraud BINGO” will be offered at Avon Court (by Dansbury Park), East Stroudsburg (Monroe) on June 5 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM
“Fraud BINGO” will be offered at the Westgate Apartments, 1055 Main Street, in Stroudsburg (Monroe) on June 12 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
“Fraud BINGO” will be offered at the Philadelphia Senior Center, 509 South Broad Street in Philadelphia (Philadelphia) on June 18 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM.
“Understanding Reverse Mortgages” will be offered at the Warminster Township Library at 1076 Emma Lane in Warminster (Bucks) on June 7 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM.
For Service Providers
Staff will be presenting on the importance of financial education in reentry to the Department of Corrections Management Meeting for Community Corrections and Reentry in State College (Centre) on June 19. (Event not open to public)
Staff will be presenting at the Elder Access to Justice Roundtable Event as part of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day at Montgomery County Community College at 340 DeKalb Pike in Blue Bell (Montgomery County) on June 14. (Registration required)
Staff will participate in the Somerset County Elder Justice Day on June 19 at the Somerset Church of the Brethren, 606 Berlin Plank Road in Somerset (Somerset County) on various topics pertaining to elder justice.
Outreach staff will be available at the following legislative expos:
· Rep. Tina Pickett Senior Citizens Expo at the Athens-Lynch/Bustin Elementary School in Athens (Bradford County) on June 21 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
The department’s Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff works with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace. There are a variety of free, non-commercial programs and presentations available, or a program can be tailored to a specific group’s needs.
The department’s Calendar of Events can be found online here. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email email@example.com for more information. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, search #GovWolfCFPI on Twitter.
MEDIA CONTACT: Dulcey Antonucci - 717.214.6036
# # #