Harrisburg, PA - Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with groups of senior citizens, veterans, service providers, and the public throughout the month of July to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf’s Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For Senior Citizens
“Fraud BINGO” will be offered at the following locations:
- Ambler Senior Center at 45 Forest Avenue in Ambler (Montgomery County) on July 1 from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM.
- Norristown Senior Center at 536 George Street in Norristown (Montgomery County) on July 2 from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM.
- Driftwood Senior Center at 7806 Bridge Street in Driftwood (Cameron County) on July 8 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
- Emporium Senior Center at 105 E. 4th Street in Emporium (Cameron County) on July 8 from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM.
- Port Allegany Senior Center at 216 North Main Street in Port Allegany (McKean County) on July 9 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
- Eldred Senior Center at 169 Main Street in Eldred (McKean County) on July 9 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM.
- Mt. Jewett Senior Center at 8 E Main Street in Mt Jewett (McKean County) on July 10 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
- Allegheny Community Center at 42 Clark Street in Warren (Warren County) on July 10 from 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM.
- Sheffield Senior Center at Pickering and Main Street in Sheffield (Warren County) on July 11 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
- Tidioute Senior Center at Tidioute Towers, 174 Main Street in Tidioute (Warren County) on July 11 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM.
- The Canon House at 121 N. Central Avenue in Canonsburg (Washington County) on July 22 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM.
For Service Providers and Organizations
Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation will be offered at the following locations:
- Suburban West Realtors Association (SWRA) at 1 Country View Rd in Malvern (Chester County) on July 24 from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM. (Event open to SWRA members)
- For Clergy, their staff, and other non-profit organizations at the Hope Eternal United Methodist Church at 2 Burd Road in Newport (Perry County) on July 24 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
“Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” helps consumers protect against financial scams and explains how scam victims can get help. It will be offered at the following locations:
- Lunch and learn with the PA Medical Society in Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on July 17 from 12:00 PM to 1:30 PM. (Event open to members)
- Parkinson’s Support Group in Altoona at 621 Valley View Boulevard in Altoona (Blair County) on July 29 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. (Event open to support group members)
Work for the Department of Banking and Securities
- Staff will present an overview of opportunities to work with the Department to the Pittsburgh North Regional Chamber of Commerce at the Doubletree by Hilton hotel, 910 Sheraton Drive in Mars (Allegheny County) on July 23 from 7:30 AM to 9:00 AM and 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM. (Event open to members of the Pittsburgh North Regional Chamber of Commerce)
Outreach staff will be available at the following legislative expos:
- Rep. Carl Metzgar’s 11th Annual Senior Expo at the Somerset County Technology Center in Somerset (Somerset County) on July 11 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Rep. Karen Boback Senior Expo at the Tunkhannock Area High School in Tunkhannock (Wyoming County) on July 26 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
The department’s Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff works with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace. There are a variety of free, non-commercial programs and presentations available, or a program can be tailored to a specific group’s needs.
The department’s Calendar of Events can be found online here. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email email@example.com for more information. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, search #GovWolfCFPI on Twitter.
MEDIA CONTACT: Dulcey Antonucci - 717.214.6036
# # #