Harrisburg, PA - Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with groups of senior citizens, veterans, service providers, and the public throughout the month of September to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf’s Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For General Audience
“Avoiding Scams and ID Theft”
· Clarion Hotel at 148 Sheraton Drive in New Cumberland (Cumberland County) on Sept. 10 from 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
Bright Hope Baptist Church’s 3rd Annual Information and Education Fair
· 12th and CB Moore Avenue in Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on Sept. 14 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
“Save and Invest PA” is an introduction to basic financial concepts and skills.
· Chambersburg High School in Chambersburg (Franklin County) on Sept. 16 from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM (Note: Open to Students only).
· Cleve J. Fredericksen Library, Business and Career Center (BCC Classroom) at 100 N 19th Street in Camp Hill (Cumberland County) on Sept. 16 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM.
· New Tripoli Fire Company at 7242 Decatur Street in New Tripoli (Lehigh County) on Sept. 17 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
· New Tripoli Bank, Buckeye Office at 4892 Buckeye Road in Emmaus (Lehigh County) on Sept. 25 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
“Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” and Senior $afe
· Vibrant Church at 1775 Lambs Gap Road in Mechanicsburg (Cumberland County) on Sept. 24 from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM (Note: Event is open to individuals participating in the housing forum).
“Avoiding Scams and ID Theft” and Cybersecurity
· Hawley Public Library at 103 Main Street in Hawley (Wayne County) on Sept. 24 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM (Note: Open to Members of the National Active and Retired Federal Employees).
Investment Fraud Bingo
· PA CareerLink in Montgomery County at 1855 New Hope Street in Norristown on Sept. 25 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM.
Spending Plans is a presentation designed to help consumers budget and plan for large purchases.
· Columbia Senior Center at 510 Walnut Street in Columbia (Lancaster County) on Sept. 30 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
For Senior Citizens
Perry County Elder Justice Day
· Perry Mennonite Reception Center at 350 Green Park Road in Elliottsburg (Perry County) on Sept. 4, from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
“Fraud BINGO” will be offered at the following locations:
· Mohler Senior Center at 25 Hope Drive in Hershey (Dauphin County) on Sept. 9 from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM.
· Upper Adams Senior Center 2950 Table Rock Road in Biglerville (Adams County) on Sept. 16 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
· Blair Senior Service, Inc. at 1320 12th Avenue in Altoona (Blair County) on Sept. 19 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM.
· Oxford Area Senior Center at 12 E. Locust Street in Oxford (Chester County) on Sept. 23 from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM.
Start Today and Retire Tomorrow (STaRT), a program designed to encourage retirement saving.
· Commonwealth Keystone Building, Meadow Room, on Sept. 17 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. (Note: Event open to Commonwealth of Pennsylvania employees)
Outreach staff will be available at the following legislative expos:
· Sen. Elder Vogel's Beaver County 55+ Senior Expo at the Community College of Beaver County (Athletics and Event Center) at 1 Campus Drive in Monaca (Beaver County) on Sept. 5 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
· Sen. Yudichak and Rep. Heffley's Senior Expo at the Franklin Township Fire Company at 2440 Fairyland Road in Lehighton (Carbon County) on Sept. 5, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
· Rep. Peifer and Rep. Brown Senior Expo at the Dingman Township Fire Hall at 680 Log Tavern Road in Milford (Pike County) on Sept. 6, from 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM.
· Rep. Jason Ortitay's Senior Fair at Bethany Presbyterian at 740 Washington Avenue in Bridgeville (Allegheny County) on Sept. 10, from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
· Rep. Sue Helm's Senior Expo at the East Hanover Dauphin Co. Municipal Building at 8848 Jonestown Road in Grantville (Dauphin County) on Sept. 12, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
· Rep. Zach Mako's Senior Expo at the Bethany Wesleyan Church at 675 Blue Mountain Drive in Cherryville (Northampton County) on Sept. 13, from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
· Rep. Everett and Sen. Gene Yaw's Senior Expo at the Community Baptist Church at 1853 Route 87 Highway in Montoursville (Lycoming County) on Sept. 19, from 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM.
· Rep. Malagari's Senior Expo at the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church at 1000 W Main Street in Lansdale (Montgomery County) on Sept. 20, from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
· Sen. Elder Vogel's 55+ Senior Expo at Cascade Park at 1928 E Washington St in New Castle (Lawrence County) on Sept. 20, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
· Rep. DeLissio's Senior Expo at the Roxborough School of Nursing- Roxborough Memorial Hospital at 5800 Ridge Avenue in Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on Sept. 26, from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
· Sen. Bartolotta and Rep. O'Neal's Senior Expo at the Washington Crown Center at 1500 W Chestnut Street in Washington (Washington County) on Sept. 26, from 9:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
· Rep. Jim Marshall's Senior Expo Event at the Chippewa United Methodist Church at 118 Mcmillen Ave in Beaver Falls (Beaver County) on Sept. 27, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
For Military and Veterans
The Veterans Expo and Job Fair will include information from outreach staff at the Lebanon Expo Center at 80 Rocherty Road in Lebanon (Lebanon County) on Sept. 12 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
The department’s Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff works with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace. There are a variety of free, non-commercial programs and presentations available, or a program can be tailored to a specific group’s needs.
The department’s Calendar of Events can be found online here. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email email@example.com for more information. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, search #GovWolfCFPI on Twitter.
MEDIA CONTACT: Dulcey Antonucci - 717.214.6036, DoBSComm@PA.gov
# # #