Harrisburg, PA - Education and outreach staff from the Department of Banking and Securities will be meeting with groups of senior citizens, veterans, service providers, and the public throughout the month of October to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf’s Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
For General Audience
“Avoiding Scams and ID Theft”
- Trinity Lutheran Church at 300 W Arch Street in Pottsville (Schuylkill County) on Oct. 5 from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
About DoBS and Financial Wellness
- Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency, Kinder Park, 1855 Constitution Avenue in Woodlyn (Delaware County) on Oct. 18 from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
- CareerLink Mon Valley, 570 Galiffa Drive in Donora (Washington County) on Oct. 23 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM.
- Fairview Township Meeting Room, 55 Fairview Road in New Cumberland (York County) on Oct. 24 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
“Start Today and Retire Tomorrow (START)”
- CareerLink Butler County, 112 Hollywood Drive, Suite 203 in Butler (Butler County) on Oct. 24 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM.
For Senior Citizens
Concord Township – 2019 Senior Citizen Expo
- Brandywine Youth Club Gymnasium at 47 Thornton Road in Glen Mills (Delaware County) on Oct. 10, from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
Westmoreland County Senior Expo
- Ramada Hotel and Conference Center at Route 30 East in Greensburg (Westmoreland County) on Oct. 23 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
Warren/Forest Eldercare Council’s 2019 Senior Expo
- Allegheny Community Center at 42 Clark Street in Warren (Warren County) on Oct. 25 from 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM.
“Fraud BINGO” will be offered at the following locations:
- McSherrystown Senior Center at 201 3rd Street in McSherrystown (Adams County) on Oct. 21 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
- Bradford Ecumenical Home, Inc. at 100 St. Francis Drive in McKean (McKean County) on Oct. 25 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM.
- Center in the Park Senior Center at 5818 Germantown Avenue in Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on Oct. 25 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
- Red Land Senior Center at 736 Wyndamere Road in Lewisberry (York County) on Oct. 30 from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM.
Department staff will be participating in the AARP’s “Catch Me if You Can” event featuring Frank Abagnale - a leading authority on fraud, forgery, and embezzlement – at the Radisson Valley Forge at 1160 First Avenue in King of Prussia (Montgomery County) on Oct. 29 from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM. Register at: AARP Events.
For Military and Veterans
Members of the military, veterans, and their families are invited to the “Making $ense of Finance” conference, featuring Congresswoman Mary Gay Scanlon, at the Chapel of Four Chaplains, The Navy Yard, 1201 Constitution Avenue in Philadelphia on Oct. 19 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Register at: https://www.secure.dobs.pa.gov/msof or by calling 1-800-PA-BANKS.
For Organizations and Service Providers
Start Today and Retire Tomorrow (STaRT), a program designed to encourage retirement saving.
- 333 Market Street, Heritage Room A, in Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on Oct. 1 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. (Note: Event open to Commonwealth of Pennsylvania employees)
- Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania at 30 N. 3rd Street, Suite 600 in Harrisburg on Oct. 22 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. (Note: Open to HHAP employees)
Making Your Money Last in Retirement, a program to help retirees manage retirement finances.
- Kline Life Travel Club at Red Lion and Jamison in Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on Oct. 2 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. (Note: Event open to members of the Kline Life Travel Club)
Cybersecurity: Keeping Yourself Safe Online, a program designed to help build cyber awareness.
- Wilson Borough Community Center, 2200 Liberty Street in Easton (Northampton County) on Oct. 7 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. (Note: Event open to members of Palmer Township Area AARP Chapter 2214)
Avoiding Scam and ID Theft and Fraud Bingo, programs designed to help detect and avoid scams and fraud.
- Upper Perkiomen Valley Chamber of Commerce, 300 Main Street in East Greenville (Montgomery County) on Oct. 15 from 8:30 AM to 10:30 AM.
Department staff will be participating in the Financial Empowerment for Individuals with Disabilities Conference at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at 23 S. 2nd Street in Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on Oct. 3 from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. (Note: Registration for the conference required)
Department staff will be participating and available at the 2019 CAAP Annual Conference at the Sheraton Harrisburg Hershey Hotel at 4650 Lindle Road in Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on Oct. 8-9 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Department staff will be presenting a webinar titled: Financial Programs and Resources Available to Individuals Living with a Disability and Older Adults to the Pennsylvania Association of Area Agencies on Aging on Oct. 9 from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
Outreach staff will be available at the following legislative expos:
- Rep. Andrew Lewis Senior Fair at Devonshire Memorial Church at 5360 Devonshire Road in Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on Oct. 2 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Sens. Baker and Yudichak and Reps. Kaufer and Mullery Senior Expo at Wyoming Valley Mall at 29 Wyoming Valley Mall in Wilkes-Barre (Luzerne County) on Oct. 3 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Sen. Killion’s Senior Expo at Penn State, Brandywine Campus at 25 Yearsley Mill Road in Media (Delaware County) on Oct. 3 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Rep. Parke Wentling’s Senior Expo at St. John’s the Evangelist Parish Center at 1001 Main Street East in Girard (Erie County) on Oct. 3 from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM.
- Rep. Mike Turzai’s Senior Health Fair at Community College of Allegheny County North Campus at 8701 Perry Highway in Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) on Oct. 4 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Grown Folks Fall Festival with Rep. Rabb at St. Raymond’s Church at 1350 E Vernon Road in Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on Oct. 5 from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
- Rep. Martin Causer’s Senior Expo at Roulette Fire Hall on Rover Street in Roulette (Potter County) on Oct. 11 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Sen. John Sabatina’s Senior Expo at PA National Guard Armory at 2700 Southampton Road in Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on Oct. 11 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Rep. Patty Kim’s Senior Health Fair at Beulah Baptist Church at 100 Livingston Street in Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on Oct. 11 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Rep. Todd Stephens Senior Expo at Montgomery Township Community and Recreation Center at 1030 Horsham Road in Montgomeryville (Montgomery County) on Oct. 17 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Sen. Mike Regan’s Senior Citizens Expo at West Shore YMCA at 410 Fallowfield Road in Camp Hill (Cumberland County) on Oct. 17 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Sen. Tommy Tomlinson’s Senior Expo at Bensalem High School at 4319 Hulmeville Road in Bensalem (Bucks County) on Oct. 19 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Sen. Pittman and Reps. Struzzi and Dush Senio Expo at S&T Bank Arena White Township Recreation Complex at 494 East Pike Road in Indiana (Indiana County) on Oct. 24 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Ladore and Rep. Jonathan Fritz Senior Expo and Fraud Bingo at Camp Ladore at 398 South Street in Waymart (Wayne County) on Oct. 31 from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM.
The department’s Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff works with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace. There are a variety of free, non-commercial programs and presentations available, or a program can be tailored to a specific group’s needs.
The department’s Calendar of Events can be found online here. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, search #GovWolfCFPI on Twitter.
MEDIA CONTACT: Dulcey Antonucci - 717.214.6036, DoBSComm@PA.gov
# # #