Begin Main Content Area

 PA.Media.BreadCrumbs - MediaBreadCrumbs

Media > DDAP > Details

Shapiro Administration Makes Funding Available for Licensed Recovery Houses to Provide Safe Housing for Those Recovering from a Substance Use Disorder


Harrisburg, PA - Today, the Departments of Drug and Alcohol Programs (DDAP) and Community & Economic Development (DCED) announced the availability of nearly $300,000 in grant funding for physical upgrades in recovery houses that provide safe housing for individuals in recovery from a substance use disorder (SUD).

“Stable, safe and accessible housing speaks volumes in an individual’s recovery journey,” said DDAP Secretary Dr. Latika Davis-Jones. “Part of the Shapiro Administration’s efforts to ensure the availability of safe, supportive housing is our recovery house licensure program. This funding provides an opportunity for recovery house owners to meet the licensure requirements, which will, in turn, provide more individuals with access to a safe recovery environment.”

The grants are designed to assist existing licensed recovery house facilities to make physical upgrades to comply with all federal, state, and local laws and ordinances, including the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which is needed to receive a recovery house license through DDAP.

“A safe and healthy environment is essential for those recovering from substance use disorders,” said DCED Secretary Rick Siger. “DCED is very pleased to partner with DDAP to provide funding for safe housing opportunities where those individuals can focus on their recovery.”

Grants of up to $50,000 each will be awarded to approximately five eligible applicants for health and safety upgrades including demolition, debris removal, rehabilitation improvements, environmental remediation costs, and construction and inspections to comply with DDAP’s regulations. To be eligible, applicants must:

1. Be able to provide individuals recovering from SUD with a safe and supportive drug and alcohol-free environment which may include peer support and other recovery support services;

2. Become registered with the Pennsylvania Department of State as a business to provide recovery housing for individuals recovering from SUD according to Act 59 of 2017 and any subsequent regulations thereafter;

3. Become licensed by DDAP as a Drug and Alcohol Recovery House as defined in Section 2311-A of the Administrative Code of 1929 (71 P.S § 613.11) to be reimbursed under this funding opportunity; and

4. Permit the use of FDA-approved medications for opioid use disorder on the premises for residents utilizing medication.

Completed applications must be submitted via email to; the application period will remain open until the availability of funding is exhausted. Information on the grants and the application process can be found on the DDAP website or directed to

Funding for these grants is provided from federal funding awarded to Pennsylvania through the SUPPORT Act from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

DDAP is continually accepting applications for recovery houses seeking licensure. Currently, there are more than 300 DDAP-licensed recovery houses in Pennsylvania. Recovery houses can find more information regarding the licensure application process on the DDAP website. Drug and alcohol recovery houses are required to be licensed in order to receive referrals from state agencies or state-funded facilities or to receive federal or state funding to deliver recovery house services.

For more information about the work the Shapiro Administration is doing to combat the addiction crisis, visit

MEDIA CONTACT: Stephany Dugan -

# # #

 Content Editor

 PA.AgencyPortal.Media - MediaPageTitle