Harrisburg, PA - The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) congratulated 13 schools in the Commonwealth that have been selected as National Blue Ribbon Schools by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE). This award is based on each school’s overall academic performance, or the progress made to close the achievement gap among students.
“The Shapiro Administration applauds these 13 exemplary schools for their commitment to supporting their students, families, and communities,” said Pennsylvania Secretary of Education Dr. Khalid N. Mumin. “By providing students with a high-quality education, our National Blue Ribbon Schools are creating the future thinkers, leaders, and achievers of the Commonwealth.”
In its 40th year, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has given approximately 10,000 awards to more than 9,700 schools across the nation. This year, 353 schools across the country received the designation. The National Blue Ribbon Schools award recognizes the efforts made by schools to create safe and welcoming spaces where students can master challenging and engaging content.
The following Pennsylvania schools were recognized:
- Boyce Middle School, Upper Saint Clair School District, Pittsburgh
- Central Bucks High School-East, Central Bucks School District, Doylestown
- David Leech Elementary School, Leechburg Area School District, Leechburg
- Elizabethtown Area Schools, Elizabethtown Area School District, Elizabethtown
- Gwynedd-Mercy Academy Elementary, Ambler
- Hampden Elementary School, Cumberland Valley School District, Mechanicsburg
- Radio Park Elementary School, State College Area School District, State College
- Saint Mary Interparochial School, Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Philadelphia
- Saint Philip Neri School, Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Lafayette Hill
- Saints Philip and James School, Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Exton
- Schuylkill Haven Area Elementary Center, Schuylkill Haven Area School District, Schuylkill Haven
- Wasson Avenue Elementary School, Dubois Area School District, Dubois
- West Allegheny High School, West Allegheny School District, Imperial
“The honorees for our 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools Award have set a national example for what it means to Raise the Bar in education,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona. “The leaders, educators, and staff at our National Blue Ribbon Schools continually inspire me with their dedication to fostering academic excellence and building positive school cultures that support students of all backgrounds to thrive academically, socially, and emotionally. As the Biden-Harris Administration partners with states and schools to accelerate academic success and transform educational opportunity in this country, we take tremendous pride in the achievements of these schools and their commitment to empowering educators, serving students, and engaging families.”
More information about the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program can be found on its website.
For more information on the Pennsylvania Department of Education, please visit the website or follow PDE on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, or Pinterest.
MEDIA CONTACT: Taj Magruder, firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #