Skip Navigation LinksMedia > Military and Veteran Affairs Details


Servicemembers Leaving the Military Should Register with DMVA, Apply for Federal Benefits and Safeguard Their Paperwork

Annville, PA - The Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA) appreciates the sacrifices made by all veterans and wants to see that everyone leaving the military receives every benefit they earned with their service to America.

“To best prepare yourself and your family for the future, it is important to register with the DMVA, apply for federal health care benefits and safeguard important military paperwork,” said Maj. Gen. (ret.) Eric Weller, DMVA’s deputy adjutant general for Veterans Affairs. “These are essential steps to take when transitioning back to civilian life that will help to make accessing military benefits much easier going forward.”

Veterans can sign up for the DMVA Veterans Registry by computer or mobile device at In addition to veterans, family members and people who work with veterans can sign up for the registry to receive helpful information about programs, benefits and services.

Information about how to apply for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care benefits can be found by going to

Also important is for veterans to safeguard their DD-214/215 and other military documents by filing them at their county courthouse of record. The DD-214 is an official document that contains the information needed to verify military service and help to avoid verification issues later in life. The DD-215 is used to correct errors or make additions to a DD-214.

Additionally, any National Guard member who has not been ordered on active duty will not receive a DD-214. The discharge documents for National Guard members are the NGB-22 and NGB-23.

Weller said that the easiest way to manage military documents is to make sure they are filed in a safe place immediately upon leaving the military.

“Veterans who need help should never hesitate to contact the DMVA for assistance with searching for any military documents,” Weller said.

Anyone needing assistance from the DMVA to locate their DD-214\215, or other military documentation, can call 717-861-8910 or e-mail:

MEDIA CONTACT: Joseph Butera - 717-861-2178

# # #

Share This


Enter your search term

× Cancel