Harrisburg, PA - Education and outreach staff from the Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities (DoBS) will be hosting and participating in numerous virtual and in-person presentations for groups of senior citizens, service providers, and the public throughout the month of September to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf’s Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
Unless otherwise noted, September outreach events will continue to be held virtually, in partnership with the listed organizations and open to the public.
Events For General Audiences
Midweek Money Matters – a series of webinars covering a variety of financial topics – will be presented on:
How To: Read Disclosures
September 1 from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
Real Life Scams in PA
September 7 from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
September 8 from 12:00 PM to 12:30 PM
Five Tips to Protect Your Finances from Fraud
September 14 from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
September 15 from 12:00 PM to 12:30 PM
Digital and Online Scams
September 21 from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
September 22 from 12:00 PM to 12:30 PM
September 28 from 6:00 PM to 6:30PM
September 29 from 12:00 PM to 12:30 PM
Register for Midweek Money Matters online.
Start Today and Retire Tomorrow (STaRT) – This presentation – discussing setting SMART goals to help you plan for retirement – will be offered virtually at Cleve J. Fredricksen Library (Cumberland County) on September 14 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM and September 28 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. To register go to: https://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/FRE.
Fraud BINGO – This presentation - a fun and interactive game that teaches consumers how to protect themselves from investment fraud by playing BINGO - will be offered in person and in partnership with the Office of Rep. Tina Pickett:
· Sons of Italy, 301 Desmond Street in Sayre (Bradford County) on September 23 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. For additional information and participation, contact Jason C. Krise with Rep. Tina Pickett's office at: 570-265-3124.
· Dushore Fire Department, 212 Julia Street in Dushore (Sullivan County) on September 23 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. For additional information and participation, contact Jason C. Krise with Rep. Tina Pickett's office at: 570-265-3124.
Popular Scams and How to Avoid Them – This presentation - addressing common scams, as well as identifying red flags of a potential scam, and steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of identity theft or if you are a victim – will be virtually presented to the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce (Lackawanna County) on September 28 from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM. For additional information, contact Victoria Naro Rogers, Membership and Community Relations Specialist, at: 570-342-7711, ext. 153.
Cybersecurity – This presentation - covering the use of secured websites, strong passwords, shopping safely online, keeping yourself safe online and using social media as safely as possible – will be virtually offered through the Ephrata Public Library (Lancaster County) on September 28 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. For additional information and to participate go to: https://www.ephratapubliclibrary.org/
Events For Senior Citizens
Cybersecurity will be offered at the Montco SAAC (Montgomery County) on September 20 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. For additional information, contact Susan Edgren, Director of Health and Wellness, 610-275-1960 ext. 122.
Fraud BINGO will be offered in person at:
· Littlestown Senior Center, 10 E Locust Street in Littlestown (Adams County) on September 1 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. For additional information, contact Karen Smith, Site Manager, 717-359-7743.
· Edwardsville Active Adult Center, 50 2nd Street in Plain (Luzerne County) on September 2 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. For additional information, contact Alice Bohunko, Site Manager, 570-824-5542.
· South Central York County Senior Center, 150 E. Main Street in New Freedom (York County) on September 14 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. For additional information, contact Nicole Strassman, Assistant Director, 717-235-6060
· Fairdale Adult Living Center, 6219 Ridge Road in Montrose (Susquehanna County) on September 27 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. For additional information contact Karen, 570-278-7238.
· Blue Ridge Adult Living Center, 81 Elizabeth St in Great Bend (Susquehanna County) on September 27 from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM. For additional information, contact Maureen Bier, Manager, 570-879-2896.
Staff will host two virtual presentations at the Philadelphia Senior Center, the Avenue of the Arts at 509 S. Broad Street in Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on September 16. For additional information, contact Edwina Griggs, Program Coordinator, 215-546-5879 ext.1625:
· Fraud BINGO from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM
· Avoiding ID Theft from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM
Popular Scams and How to Avoid Them will be offered virtually at the Wayne Senior Center (Delaware County) on September 30 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For additional information, contact Margo Fine-Gabbay, Program Director, 610-688-6246.
Events for Organizations and Service Providers
Staff will present Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation (EIFFE), a presentation on detecting and reporting elder financial exploitation, in person to attendees of the Fiduciary Education Foundation Annual Conference at Eden Resort in Lancaster (Lancaster County) on September 15 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Open to Conference Attendees
Staff will virtually present Spending Plan on September 7 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM, and Retirement Planning 101 for Small Businesses on September 28 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM to the SCORE Bucks County Chapter (Bucks County). For additional information visit: https://buckscounty.score.org/content/take-workshop-128
Staff will present Farmers Can Retire Too: Budgeting, Planning and Saving – a discussion on the best practices on the beginning stages of retirement – in partnership with Penn State Extension on September 16 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. For additional information and to register visit: https://extension.psu.edu/farmers-can-retire-too-retirement-planning
Cybersecurity will be presented in person to the AmeriCorps Seniors Foster Grandparent Program at 1510 Chester Pike, Suite 250 in Eddystone (Delaware County) on September 16 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. To register go to the event calendar of the library's website: https://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/BOS
Avoiding Scams will be offered in person to member of P.A.R.S.E Chapter 1-10 at the American Legion Social Hall at 1620 North Juniata St in Hollidaysburg (Blair County) on September 21 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. Open to Members
Legislative and Senior Expos and Conferences
Outreach staff will be available in person at the following legislative expos and conferences:
- Carbon County Senior Expo at the Franklin Township Fire Company in Lehighton
(Carbon County) on September 1 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Rep. Martin Causer’s Senior Expo at Kane Community Center in Kane (McKean County) on September 10 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Sen. Patrick Stefano and Rep. Ryan Warner’s Legislative Expo at Fayette County Fairgrounds in Dunbar (Fayette County) on September 17 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Information and Community Education Fair at Bright Hope Baptist Church at 1601 N 12th St in Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on September 18 from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
- Rep. Matthew Bradford’s Family Expo at Elmwood Park Zoo at 1661 Harding Blvd in Norristown (Montgomery County) on September 20 from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM.
- Sen. Gene Yaw and Rep. Joe Hamm’s Senior Expo at Faith United Methodist Church in Montoursville (Lycoming County) on September 23 from 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Rep. Wendi Thomas’ Senior Fair at Spring Mill Manor in Ivyland (Bucks County) on September 24 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
- Rep. Zachary Mako’s Senior Expo at Bethany Wesleyan Church in Cherryville (Northampton County) on September 24 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Rep. Perry Stambaugh’s Senior Expo at Newport Family Life Center in Newport (Perry County) on September 24 from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
- Rep. Jared Solomon’s Senior Expo at St. Williams Church in Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on September 25 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
Rep. Kristine Howard’s Senior Expo at West Whiteland Township Building in Exton (Chester County) on September 30 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
DoBS Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff work with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace.
Learn more about the free, non-commercial programs and presentations available or contact us to request a program tailored to your specific needs.
Visit the department's calendar of events to find an event near you. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email email@example.com for more information. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, follow the department on Twitter and Facebook.
MEDIA CONTACT: Virginia Lucy - 717.214.6036, DoBSComm@PA.gov
# # #