Harrisburg, PA - Education and outreach staff from the Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities (DoBS) will be hosting and participating in numerous virtual and in-person presentations for groups of senior citizens, service providers, and the public throughout the month of October to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf’s Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
Unless otherwise noted, October outreach events will continue to be held virtually, in partnership with the listed organizations and open to the public.
Virtual Events For General Audiences
Start Today and Retire Tomorrow (STaRT) – This presentation – discussing goals to help you plan for retirement – will be offered virtually at Phoenixville Public Library (Chester County) on October 4 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Register at https://www.phoenixvillelibrary.org.
Cybersecurity – This presentation - covering the use of secured websites, strong passwords, shopping safely online, keeping yourself safe online and using social media as safely as possible – will be offered virtually at:
· Malvern Public Library (Chester County) on October 5 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. For additional information and to register visit: https://www.malvern-library.org/.
· PA CareerLink (Bucks County) on October 20 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. Open to members.
· Bosler Memorial Library (Cumberland County) on October 20 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. To register go to: https://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/BOS.
Cybersecurity: Tips for Holiday Shopping – focusing on protecting yourself when online shopping – will be presented at:
· Ephrata Public Library (Lancaster County) on October 19 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. To register visit: https://www.ephratapubliclibrary.org/.
· Bosler Memorial Library (Cumberland County) on October 27 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. To register visit https://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/BOS.
Avoiding Scams and ID Theft – This presentation – addressing common scams, as well as identifying red flags of a potential scam, and steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of identity theft or if you are a victim – will be virtually presented at the Bosler Memorial Library (Cumberland County) on October 6 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Learn more and register: https://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/BOS.
Budgeting Basics – This presentation – focusing on the need for a spending plan to achieve their financial goals and setting SMART goals, creating a spending plan, putting the plan into action, as well as periodically reviewing goals and spending plans in order to ensure that you can stay on track – will be virtually presented at Cleve J. Fredricksen Library (Cumberland County) on October 19 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM and October 26 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
Learn more and register: https://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/events/_FRE.
Virtual Events For Senior Citizens
Popular Scams and How to Avoid Them will be offered virtually at Mansfield Senior Center at 1103 S. Main Street in Mansfield (Tioga County) on October 8 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For more information contact: Dawn Vetter, Mansfield Senior Center Director, 570-662-2130. Open to members.
Avoiding Scams and ID Theft will be offered virtually at Montco Senior Active Adult Center Norristown and Ambler (Montgomery County) on October 18 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM. For additional information contact: Susan Edgren, Director of Health and Wellness, 610-275-1960 ext. 122. Open to members.
Cybersecurity will be virtually presented to Philadelphia Senior Center, Avenue of the Arts (Philadelphia County) on October 28 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. Open to members.
Fraud Bingo – This presentation - a fun and interactive game that teaches consumers how to protect themselves from investment fraud by playing BINGO - will be offered in person at:
· Panther Valley Senior Center at 90 E. Catawissa Street in Nesquehoning (Carbon County) on October 22 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. For additional information contact: Fran Craigle, Operator, 570-669-9930. Open to members.
· Jim Thorpe Senior Center at 995 State Route 903 in Jim Thorpe (Carbon County) on October 22 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM. For additional information contact: Russell Shade, Operator, 570-325-4980. Open to members.
Events for Organizations and Service Providers
Staff will present Making Your Retirement Last and Fraud Bingo at the PA Association of School Retirees Annual Conference on October 4 at the Eden Resort in Lancaster (Lancaster County). Open to conference attendees.
An EIFFE seminar about preventing elder financial abuse and exploitation in your community will be presented to attendees of the PA State Tax Collectors Association Annual Conference on October 15 at the Holiday Inn Harrisburg in Grantville (Dauphin County). Open to conference attendees.
Cybersecurity will be presented virtually to Lawrence County PSEA Retired Chapter (Lawrence County) on October 18 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. Open to members.
Investment Scams You Need to Know will be virtually presented to member of the Scranton Area Chamber of Commerce (Lackawanna County) on October 19 from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM. Open to members.
Staff will virtually present a two-part series with the United Way of the Titusville Region (Crawford County):
- Banking Basics – addressing how banks operate, different types of retail accounts, and much more - on October 20 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. Open to members.
- Start Today and Retire Tomorrow (STaRT) on October 27 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. Open to members.
Legislative and Senior Expos and Conferences
Outreach staff will be available at the following in-person legislative expos and conferences:
- Rep. Chris Quinn’s Senior Expo at Penn State-Brandywine Campus in Media (Delaware County) on October 7 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Rep. Martin Causer’s Senior Expo at Roulette Fire Hall in Roulette (Potter County) on October 8 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Sen. Christine Tartaglione’s Senior Expo at Mayfair Community Center at 2990 St. Vincent Street in Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on October 21 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Rep. Jonathan Fritz and Salvation Army Senior Expo and Fraud Bingo at Salvation Army Camp Ladore at 287 Owego Turnpike in Waymart (Wayne County) on October 21 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
- Sen. Art Haywood’s Family Event at First Baptist Church of Crestmont at 1678 Fairview Ave. in Willow Grove (Montgomery County) on October 21 from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
- Sen. Christine Tartaglione’s Senior Expo at Lawncrest Recreation Center at 6000 Rising Sun Ave. in Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on October 28 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Rep. Mary Jo Daley’s Senior Resource Fair at United Food and Commercial Workers Local 1776 at 3031 Walton Rd. in Plymouth Meeting (Montgomery County) on October 29 from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
DoBS Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff work with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace.
Learn more about the free, non-commercial programs and presentations available or contact us to request a program tailored to your specific needs.
Visit the department's calendar of events to find an event near you. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email email@example.com for more information. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, follow the department on Twitter and Facebook.
MEDIA CONTACT: Virginia Lucy - 717.214.6036, DoBSComm@PA.gov
# # #