Harrisburg, PA - Education and outreach staff from the Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities (DoBS) will be hosting and participating in numerous presentations for groups of senior citizens, service providers and the public throughout the month of August to promote financial capability and provide investor education.
August outreach events, in partnership with the listed organizations, will be held in person and are open to the public unless otherwise noted.
EVENTS FOR GENERAL AUDIENCES
Spending Plans – A Road to Financial Success: An in-person session focusing on the need for a spending plan so that people can achieve their financial goals will be held at the Cleve J. Fredricksen Library, 100 N. 19th St., Camp Hill (Cumberland County) on Aug. 10 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM. For additional information contact Amanda Scharrer at email@example.com or 717-761-3900.
Fraud Bingo: Join us for a fun and interactive game that teaches consumers how to protect themselves from investment fraud by playing a familiar game at the Montour County Administration Building, 435 E. Front St., Conference Room B, Danville (Montour County) on Aug. 16 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For additional information contact Melissa Corbin at Mcorbin@pahousegop.com or 570-286-5885.
STaRT (Start Today and Retire Tomorrow): The goal of this virtual program is to help you determine what your retirement goals are and how to help you get there. No matter where you are in the timeline for retirement, early career, mid-career or late career, know that it’s never too late to STaRT! Program will be held virtually on Aug. 21 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. For additional information contact Mary LaRochelle at Mlarochelle@jobs4lancaster.com or 717-509-5613.
EVENTS FOR SENIOR CITIZENS
9th Annual Elder Justice Day featuring Cybersecurity – Keeping Yourself Safe Online & Fraud Bingo: Whatever your age, understanding how to keep your information safe and secure online is vitally important for everyone. This presentation covers key topics like using secure websites, creating strong passwords, being aware of what you put on social media, and even tips for shopping online safely. Fraud BINGO is a fun and interactive presentation that teaches consumers how to protect themselves from investment fraud by playing a familiar game – BINGO! Eastern Pike Senior Center, Matamoras Fire House, 506 Avenue Q, Matamoras (Pike County) on Aug. 22 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. For additional information contact Tracy Simon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 570-775-5550.
FOR MEMBERS OF THESE ORGANIZATIONS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS
Avoiding ID Theft: This presentation looks at ways people’s identities are stolen or compromised, what you can do if you find you have had your identity stolen, and how to stop theft from occurring.
- Berks Encore – Mifflin Center, 30 Liberty St., Shillington (Berks County) on Aug. 1 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. For additional information contact Megan Dissinger at MDissinger@BerksEncore.org or 610-777-5577. Open to Members Only.
- Golden Connections Community (Senior) Center, 20 Gotham Place, Red Lion (York County) on Aug. 10 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. For additional information contact Kasie Ream at 717-244-7229. Open to Members Only.
Fraud Bingo: Join us for a fun and interactive game that teaches consumers how to protect themselves from investment fraud by playing a familiar game – BINGO! These in-person events will be held at the following locations:
- Bennetts Valley Senior Center, 149 Plum St., Weedville (Elk County) on Aug. 3 from 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM. For additional information contact Mindy Krukia at email@example.com or 814-787-7888. Open to Members Only.
- Coopersburg Senior Center, 538 Thomas St., Coopersburg (Lehigh County) on Aug. 8 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. For additional information contact Nan Beitel-Vessels at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-794-6265. Open to Members Only.
- Charles T. Adams Active Adult Center, 5 East Market St., Wilkes-Barre (Luzerne County) on Aug. 9 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For additional information contact Toni Mathis at email@example.com or 570-825-3484. Open to Members Only.
- Coopersburg Senior Center, 538 Thomas St., Coopersburg (Lehigh County) on Aug. 15 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. For additional information contact Nan Beitel-Vessels at 610-282-2330. Open to Members Only.
- American Legion Post 516, 104 Dell Delight, Legion Park Social Hall, Hollidaysburg
(Blair County) on Aug. 17 from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM. For additional information contact Alyssa Key at 814-946-1235. Open to Members of AmeriCorps Seniors Volunteer Program Only.
- Hoss's Steak and Sea House, 675 Liberty Blvd., Dubois (Clearfield County) on Aug. 23 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM. Open to Jefferson-Clearfield PARSE Members Only.
LEGISLATIVE EXPOS AND EVENTS
Outreach staff will also be available at the following legislative events:
- Rep. Martin Causer's Senior Expo at the University of Pittsburgh KOA Arena – Sport and Fitness Center, 300 Campus Drive, Bradford (McKean County) on Aug. 4 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. For additional information contact Rhonda Race at firstname.lastname@example.org or 814-362-4400.
- Rep. Clint Owlett's Senior Expo at the Wellsboro High School, 225 Nichols St., Wellsboro (Tioga County) on Aug. 4 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For additional information contact Kim Johns at email@example.com or 570-724-1390.
- Rep. Ann Flood's $CAMJAM, offered in partnership with AARP Pennsylvania, will be held at the Lookout Fire Company Social Hall, 123 S. Main St., Pen Argyl (Northampton County) on Aug. 23 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. For additional information contact Melanie Whiteleather at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-746-1504.
- Rep. Napoleon Nelson's Senior Expo at the Reform Congregation Keneseth Israel, 8339 Old York Rd., Elkins Park (Montgomery County) on Aug. 24 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. For additional information contact Leah Abrams at email@example.com or 215-572-5210.
- Rep. Barb Gleim's Senior Expo at the Big Spring Senior Center, 91 Doubling Gap Rd., Suite 1, Newville (Cumberland County) on Aug. 31 from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM. For additional information contact Kim Morewood at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-249-1990.
DoBS Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff works with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace.
Learn more about the free, non-commercial programs and presentations available, or contact us to request a program tailored to your specific needs.
Visit the department's calendar of events to find an event near you. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email email@example.com for more information.
MEDIA CONTACT: Joan Nissley - 717-579-7347, DoBSComm@PA.gov
# # #