Harrisburg, PA - Education and outreach staff from the Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities (DoBS) will be hosting and participating in numerous presentations for groups of senior citizens, service providers and the public throughout the month of September to promote financial capability and provide investor education.
September outreach events, in partnership with the listed organizations, will be held in person and are open to the public unless otherwise noted.
EVENTS FOR GENERAL AUDIENCES
Popular Scams and How to Avoid Them: This presentation addresses some of the current scams, commonly used tactics, and how to avoid them and will be offered virtually on Sept. 18 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM in partnership with Jobs 4 Lancaster. To register for this event please contact Mary LaRochelle at Mlarochelle@jobs4lancaster.com.
EVENTS FOR OLDER ADULTS
Spending Plans – Senior Edition: An in-person session focusing on the need for a spending plan so that people can achieve their financial goals will be held at Heidelberg Union Church, 5187 Irvin Rd., Slatington (Lehigh County) on Sept. 5 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. This presentation is open to members of Heidelberg Area Retired Persons (HARP).
Fraud Bingo: Join us for a fun and interactive game that teaches consumers how to protect themselves from investment fraud by playing a familiar game – BINGO! These events will be held at the following locations:
- Cranberry Township Senior Center, 2525 Rochester Rd., Cranberry Township (Butler County) on Sept. 11 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For additional information contact Brittany Gilfillan at BBuzzell@co.butler.pa.us or 724-282-3006. Open to Members Only.
- Concordia Haven 3, 160 Marwood Rd., Cabot (Butler County) on Sept. 11 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. For additional information contact Kassie Walker at 724-352-1571. Open to Residents Only.
- Kane Senior Center, 100 Fraley St., Kane (McKean County) on Sept. 12 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. For additional information contact Beth Lenaway at 814-837-6981. Open to Members Only.
- Johnsonburg Senior Center, 430 Center St., Johnsonburg (Elk County) on Sept. 12 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. For additional information contact JoAnn Schatz at 814-965-5638. Open to Members Only.
FOR MEMBERS OF THESE ORGANIZATIONS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS
Investing in Women: This presentation addresses the unique financial challenges experienced by many women and covers topics on finances and investing and will be offered at the following locations:
- Pittsburgh Habitat for Humanity, via Zoom, on Sept. 5 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Contact Emily Kammenzind at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-450-8520 to register or for more information.
- Office of Senator Lindsey Williams at Kingley Association at 6435 Frankstown Ave., Pittsburgh (Allegheny County) on Sept. 7 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. For additional information contact Megan Winters at Megan.Winters@pasenate.com or 412-364-0469.
Fraud Bingo: This presentation will be offered at the following locations:
- Special Olympics Pennsylvania, 2570 Boulevard of the Generals, Suite 124, Norristown (Montgomery County) on Sept. 19 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. For additional information contact Jordan Schubert at 610-630-9450 ext. 236. Open to Special Olympic athletes and their families.
- University Grille at the Clarion Hotel, 32 East King St., Shippensburg (Cumberland County) on Sept. 20 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. Open to Members of the Shippensburg Civic Club.
Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation (EIFFE) Prevention: This is a research-based program that educates professionals who routinely work with older Pennsylvanians to recognize when their older clients may be vulnerable to or victims of financial abuse, particularly those with mild cognitive impairment. The program also teaches professionals how to refer these at-risk individuals to the appropriate resources.
- U.S. Army Reserve Center, 405 College Ave., Bellefonte (Centre County) on Sept.18 – Sept. 20 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. This event is by invitation only and is NOT a public event.
Preventing Financial Exploitation: Presenters from Pennsylvania's Department of Aging, Department of Banking, and the Office of the Attorney General will highlight ways financial exploitation of elders can be prevented. The latest and most frequently used scams will be explained. The prevention and response work done by each department, resources available to the public, and some of the challenges of prosecuting scammers will be highlighted. The purpose of this session is to increase attendees’ knowledge of financial exploitation of elders and allow them to better identify warning signs and prevent exploitation.
- Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center, 215 Innovation Blvd., State College (Centre County) on Sept. 21 from 11:15 AM to 12:15 PM. This event is by invitation only and is NOT a public event.
Avoiding ID Theft: This presentation looks at ways people’s identities are stolen or compromised, what you can do if you find you have had your identity stolen, and how to stop theft from occurring.
- PARSE, Nittany Chapter - Hoss’s State College, 1450 N Atherton St., State College (Centre County) on Sept. 21 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM.
Cybersecurity – Keeping Yourself Safe Online & Fraud Bingo: Community residents are invited to attend a Regional Forum in your area. Forums are opportunities for service coordinators, property managers, and other professionals to develop relationships, exchange information, and learn about services. Come out, get informed and share resources that support you in meeting the needs of families, seniors, and people with disabilities.
- PHFA Regional Forum, Pleasant Point Apartments, 280 Greensboro Circle, State College (Centre County) on Sept. 13 from 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM. For additional information contact Lisa Scott, Housing Services Representative, at 717-780-3815.
- PHFA Lehigh Valley Forum, Overlook Park, 445 Hanover Ave., Allentown (Lehigh County) on Sept. 15 from 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM. For additional information contact Alicia Spencer, Senior Housing Services at 610-270-1989 or email@example.com.
LEGISLATIVE EXPOS AND EVENTS
Outreach staff will also be available at the following legislative events:
- Rep. Jill Cooper’s ScamJam at the Delmont Volunteer Fire Company, 2360 Rt. 66, Delmont (Westmoreland County) on Sept. 7 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For additional information contact Debra Pfeiffer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-472-4102.
- Rep. Causer’s Kane Expo at the Kane Community Center, 54 N. Farlet St., Kane (McKean County) on Sept. 8 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. For additional information contact Rhonda Race at email@example.com or 814-362-4400.
- Rep. Matt Bradford’s Family Fair at the Elmwood Park Zoo, 1661 Harding Blvd., Norristown (Bucks County) on Sept. 12 from 5:30 PM to 7:00 PM. For additional information contact Melissa Retano at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-222-3490.
- Rep. Hamm & Sen. Yaw’s Senior Expo at the Community Baptist Church, 1853 State Route 87, Montoursville (Lycoming County) on Sept. 14 from 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM. For additional information contact Kathy Koch at email@example.com.
- Rep. Justin Fleming’s Senior Fair at the RCCG Living Spring Church, 3600 Vartan Way, Harrisburg (Dauphin County) on Sept. 14 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For additional information contact Tyanna Jennings at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rep. Zachary Mako’s Senior Expo at the Bethany Wesleyan Church, 675 Blue Mountain Dr., Cherryville (Northampton County) on Sept. 14 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. For additional information contact Jodi Nestor at email@example.com or 610-760-9805.
- Sen. Pennycuick & Rep. Mackenzie’s Senior Expo at the Upper Perkiomen Valley YMCA, 1399 Quakertown Rd., Pennsburg (Montgomery County) on Sept. 15 from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM. For additional information contact Anna Stackhouse at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-965-5830.
- Rep. Tina Pickett’s Senior Citizen’s Expo at the Triton Hose Company, 116 W. Tioga St., Tunkhannock (Wyoming County) on Sept. 15 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. For additional information contact Leslie Cdden at email@example.com or 570-836-4777.
- Bright Hope Baptist Community Fair at 1601 N. 12th St., Philadelphia (Philadelphia County) on Sept. 16 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. For additional information contact Tom Gregory at 215-667-9963.
- Sen. Brooks and Rep. Brown Senior Expo at the Cascade Park Dance Hall, 1928 East Washington St., New Castle (Lawrence County) on Sept. 22 from 10:30 AM to 1:30 PM. For additional information contact Heather Maurer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ScamJam w/ Rep. Hanbridge & Normandy Farm Estates at Normandy Farm Estates, 9000 Twin Silo Dr., Blue Bell (Montgomery County) on Sept. 27 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. For additional information contact Kevin Carson at email@example.com or 610-277-3230.
- Rep. Lisa Borowski’s Senior Expo at Penn State Brandywine, 25 Yearsley Mill Rd., Media (Delaware County) on Sept. 28 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. For additional information contact Katherine Schleigh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sen. Frank Farry’s Senior Expo at Northampton Valley Country Club, 299 Newton Richboro Rd., Richboro (Bucks County) on Sept. 28 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. For additional information contact Emily Strayer at email@example.com or 717-772-0500.
- Sen. Santarsiero’s ScamJam at the Falls Township Senior Center, 282 Trenton Rd., Fairless Hills (Bucks County) on Sept. 29 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. For additional information contact Nancy Adam at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-489-5000.
DoBS Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff works with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace.
Learn more about the free, non-commercial programs and presentations available, or contact us to request a program tailored to your specific needs.
Visit the department's calendar of events to find an event near you. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email email@example.com for more information.
MEDIA CONTACT: Joan Nissley - 717-579-7347, DoBSComm@PA.gov
# # #