Education and outreach staff from the Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities (DoBS) will be hosting and participating in numerous virtual and in-person presentations for groups of senior citizens, service providers, and the public throughout the month of August to promote financial capability as part of Governor Tom Wolf's Consumer Financial Protection Initiative.
Unless otherwise noted, most August outreach events will continue to be held virtually, in partnership with the listed organizations, and open to the public.
Virtual Events For General Audiences
Midweek Money Matters – a series of webinars covering a variety of financial topics – will be presented on:
How To: Hire an Investment Professional August 3 from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
August 4 from 12:00 PM to 12:30 PM
How To: Buy Stock August 10 from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
August 11 from 12:00 PM to 12:30 PM
How To: Learn More About Investing August 17 from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
August 18 from 12:00 PM to 12:30 PM
How To: Choose an Investment Fund August 24 from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM
August 25 from 12:00 PM to 12:30 PM
How To: Read Investment Disclosures August 31 from 6:00 PM to 6:30PM
Register for Midweek Money Matters online
Fraud Bingo – This presentation - a fun and interactive game that teaches consumers how to protect themselves from investment fraud by playing BINGO - will be offered at:
- In Person Cleve J. Fredricksen Library (Cumberland County) on August 10 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM and August 24 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For additional information and participation contact: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- In Person Lancaster City Housing Authority at 325 Church Street in Lancaster (Lancaster County) on August 19 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. For more information contact: Vasthi Dominguez, Resident Service Coordinator, 717-283-0428 x3041.
Avoiding Scams and ID Theft – This presentation – addressing ways to protect yourself from scams, as well as identifying red flags of a potential scam, and steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of identity theft or if you are a victim – will be presented at the Bosler Memorial Library (Cumberland County) on August 11 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
Cybersecurity – This presentation – covering the use of secured websites, strong passwords, shopping safely online, keeping yourself safe online, and using social media as safely as possible – will be offered at Bosler Memorial Library (Cumberland County) on August 25 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
Virtual Events For Senior Citizens
Cybersecurity – This presentation will be offered at:
Littlestown Senior Center (Adams County) on August 2 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. For additional information contact: Karen Smith, Site Manager or Denise Lupp, 717-359-7743; and
The following Butler County Senior Centers. For additional information contact: Brittany Gilfillan, Program Supervisor, 724-282-3008:
- Slippery Rock Senior Center on August 3 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Mt Chestnut Senior Center on August 9 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Evans City Senior Center on August 10 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- South East Senior Center on August 12 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Chicora Senior Center on August 16 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Cranberry Senior Center on August 23 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Butler Senior Center on August 31 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Fraud Bingo – This presentation will be offered at the Philadelphia Senior Center (Philadelphia County) on August 26 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM. For additional information contact Barbara A. Jackson, Program Coordinator, 267-286-1455.Virtual Events for Organizations and Service ProvidersIn Person
Staff will participate in the Abington Pre-Night Out Event at the Abington Town Center at 1495 Old York Road in Abington (Montgomery County) on August 2
from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM. They will have available resources and information available. For additional information visit: https://allevents.in/abington/pre-night-out/200021315344909 Spending Plans – A Roadmap For Success
– This presentation - discussing the advantages of establishing a spending plan for reaching financial goals – will be offered to:
- Allegheny Unlimited Care Providers (Cambria County) on August 4 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Open to employees.
- Montgomery County SAAC in Ambler (Montgomery County) on August 11 from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM. Open to members
Staff will present Farmers Can Retire, Too: Budgeting, Planning and Saving – a discussion on the best practices on the beginning stages of retirement – in partnership with Penn State Extension on August 19 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. For additional information and to register visit: https://extension.psu.edu/farmers-can-retire-too-budgeting-planning-and-saving.
Staff are helping to coordinate the relaunch of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's (CFPB) "Your Money, Your Goals" toolkit with a supplement focus on reentry. CFPB staff will offer presentations on this resource for Corrections and Parole staff on August 19 from 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM and August 25 from 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM. Contact Becky MacDicken email@example.com for more information. Open to DOC and Parole staff.
Senior$afe – This program – helping professionals that work with older adults have greater awareness about elder financial exploitation, and steps they can take to report suspected abuse to the most relevant authority – will be presented:
Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) Loan Originators on August 24 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM.
Cybersecurity will be presented to the AmeriCorps Seniors Foster Grandparent Program at 1510 Chester Pike, Suite 250 in Eddystone (Delaware County) on August 26 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. To register go to the event calendar of the library's website https://www.cumberlandcountylibraries.org/BOS
Legislative Expos and Conferences
In Person Outreach staff will be available at the following legislative expos and conferences:
- Rep. Clinton Owlett's Senior Expo at the Wellsboro High School in Wellsboro (Tioga County) on August 5 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Rep. Tina Pickett's Senior Expo at Lynch Bustin Elementary School in Athens (Bradford County) on August 5 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
- Rep. Martin Causer's Senior Expo at University of Pittsburgh at Bradford in Bradford (McKean County) on August 6 from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Rep. Ryan Bizzaro's Senior Expo at McDowell Intermediate High School Commons Area in Erie (Erie County) on August 16 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Rep. Napoleon Nelson's Senior Expo at Congregation K.I. in Elkins Park (Montgomery County) on August 26 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
DoBS Investor Education and Consumer Outreach staff work with state and local government agencies, service providers, community and trade organizations, the General Assembly, the military community, schools, and other partners to help Pennsylvanians across the commonwealth become well-informed about the financial marketplace.
Learn more about the free, non-commercial programs and presentations available or contact us to request a program tailored to your specific needs.
Visit the department's calendar of events to find an event near you. Consumers and community groups can call 1-800-PA-BANKS or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. To learn more about the Consumer Financial Protection Initiative, follow the department on Twitter and Facebook.