Harrisburg, PA – The Department of Labor & Industry (L&I) is hosting a live virtual town hall from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM this Thursday, June 11, 2020, to share information about Pennsylvania's regular unemployment compensation (UC) and other new COVID-19-related benefits programs.
How to participate
A livestream for people with smart devices or computer access will be online at https://access.live/PAlabor. Those without internet access can listen by calling 1-833-380-0719, however access is limited so we ask that they be reserved for individuals who need them.
Participants will be able to ask questions live during the town hall. At the beginning of the event, the moderator will explain how to submit questions. To protect participants' personal confidential information, questions about individual claims cannot be answered during the town hall.
Pennsylvania recently implemented all of the new programs under the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act:
Unemployment Benefits Statistics
Since mid-March, nearly $14.2 billion in benefits has been paid to claimants:
- $7.7 billion from regular UC
- $5.4 billion from FPUC
- $993 million from PUA
- $69 million from PEUC
UC Claim Statistics
Since March 15, 2.5 million total unemployment compensation claims have been filed:
- 2 million for regular UC
- 526,000 for PUA
Improving Customer Service
- L&I UC staff has worked more than 110,000 overtime hours since mid-March.
- UC service center staffing levels have also increased 80 percent since March 15:
- We've added 312 new employees, bringing the total of UC service center staff to 1,491.
- We've added 358 additional state employees who have been reassigned from other offices/agencies to assist in UC.
- 220,000 calls have been answered by IBM Watson, an automated virtual phone assistant that answers many common UC questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Recordings of prior public town halls are available here. Additional unemployment benefits information is available on L&I's website, Facebook or Twitter.
MEDIA CONTACT: Penny Ickes, email@example.com
# # #