HARRISBURG, Pa. (June 3) — The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) today awarded $158,945 through the R3 Education Grant Program to support eight education projects in eight counties and one statewide effort. Recruiting new participants, retaining existing participants, and reactivating former participants is known as R3. This grant program is part of the PFBC's efforts to increase the number of anglers and boaters in Pennsylvania.
Last year, the PFBC awarded $160,000 in R3 grants to support 14 education projects in 10 counties, including four statewide efforts.
"Education programs play a role in R3 by providing experiences that increase knowledge and skills, facilitate social support, and provide information on opportunities close to home," said Amber Nabors, PFBC Director of Outreach, Education, and Marketing. "When we encourage people to get involved and stay involved, fishing and boating can become lifelong outdoor recreational activities that bring people together in our communities and benefit physical and mental health."
Recipients of the grants successfully applied for funding to assist with the development and delivery of new or expanding education programs that contribute to the PFBC's R3 efforts. Funds awarded through the program will be used to purchase equipment, supplies, and educational resources, provide transportation, and cover other costs associated with the development and delivery of R3 education programs.
All projects funded for this round of grants must be completed by June 30, 2022.
The 2021 R3 Education Grants include (by county):
- Allegheny: Venture Outdoors, Recovering from COVID by Connecting to Our Waterways: Kayaking and Fishing with Venture Outdoors
- Berks: Alvernia University, Ride the Tide: Introduction to Kayaking
- Butler: Butler Area School District, Fishing is Fun in Butler
- Chester: Stroud Water Research Center, Hidden Gems of the Delaware and Susquehanna River Basins: Increasing Accessibility to Boating and Angling Education
- Erie: School District of the City of Erie, Reading and Reels
- Montgomery: Perkiomen Watershed Conservancy, Floating Classroom Outdoor Education Program at Green Lane Reservoir
- Wyoming and Lackawanna: Keystone College, Keystone College Fishing Program
- Pennsylvania Trout, Inc., Support for an AmeriCorps member and equipment to expand PATU's educational programs across the state