Harrisburg, PA – Today, Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry (L&I) Acting Secretary Jennifer Berrier announced that payments for the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program in the new federal CARES Act extension are resuming.
"Since the federal legislation for the new CARES Act extension was unveiled, L&I's dedicated team has been working tirelessly to update our processing systems," said Berrier. "We know that more than 400,000 Pennsylvanians and their families are relying on these PUA benefits to get through this terrible pandemic and have worked as quickly as possible to complete the implementation and resume payments."
Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) Program Extension
PUA assists workers who lost their jobs due to COVID-19 and are not typically eligible for other unemployment compensation programs. This includes gig workers, freelancers, and self-employed workers.
Important PUA program extension information for claimants follows.
- You can begin filing for the additional 11 claim weeks today, January 22.
- Follow the same process as before to log onto your dashboard and claim the additional weeks, which will be added to your account.
- You will be able to file for the weeks of January 2; 9; and 16. You will be able to file for the week ending January 23 on January 24.
- You must file by January 29. If you miss this deadline, you will need to email email@example.com to request a staff member manually certify these weeks.
- If you no longer had claim weeks or did not file for the week ending December 26, 2020, for any reason, you MUST REOPEN your claim before you can proceed. To do this, log onto your dashboard, select "File for Weekly Benefits" then "File Your Weekly Certification to Continue Your Claim." You will see a notice stating "You currently have a claim established, however it is inactive. If you wish to reactivate your claim in order to file benefits, click here."
- If you are a new, first-time PUA claimant opening a claim in 2021, you can file but payments are not yet being made. We are still adding 2020 as a base wage year in the system and your payments will be issued when this step is complete.
- You will automatically receive the extra $300 weekly Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) – you do not need to take any action to get this boost.
Claimants who have questions about their enrollment in PUA should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The original CARES Act programs, including Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC), expired the end of December 2020. L&I is in the final stages of the PEUC implementation and will be providing an update to those claimants very soon.
L&I Resources and Links for Claimants
- Important Updates and News about the PUA Program
- Federal CARES Act
- Important L&I Updates Related to COVID-19
- Report Unemployment Fraud and Identity Theft
- 2020 Tax Forms for Claimants
For information on unemployment programs, visit uc.pa.gov or follow L&I on Facebook or Twitter. Click here for the latest L&I news.
MEDIA CONTACT: Sarah DeSantis, email@example.com
# # #