Harrisburg, PA – Department of Labor and Industry (L&I) Secretary Jennifer Berrier announced today the launch of a rollout of in-person services for Unemployment Compensation (UC) claimants available by appointment at PA CareerLink ® locations throughout the commonwealth, starting with locations in southeastern and southwestern Pennsylvania.
The department was awarded a $6.8 million grant from the U.S. Department of Labor, funded through the American Rescue Plan Act, to promote equitable access to UC programs and designed its new services to meet the needs of the commonwealth's most underserved populations.
L&I is using the funding to place UC staff in PA CareerLink® centers, add iPad technology to the PA CareerLink® centers for both staff and claimants, and to eliminate the backlog of pending appeals in the federal Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program, which expired last September. The in-person appointments for UC service will continue through 2022.
"The crisis of the last two years has taught L&I some valuable lessons, and we've taken the time to look at the Unemployment Compensation system, identify areas that needed attention, and make improvements that benefit Pennsylvanians. With this rollout of in-person appointments and assistance at CareerLink offices, L&I now has a greater reach into communities of underserved populations," Berrier said. "With more staff more accessible to serve our customers, we will continue to fulfill our mission of serving Pennsylvanians facing economic hardship."
As of today, UC staff are available at six PA CareerLink® in the southeast region and 10 locations in the southwest region to assist claimants with their cases. Over the coming weeks and months, the department plans to make this service available at additional CareerLink centers. As locations offering this service are added, L&I will make that information available on its website. UC staff will be available on Mondays and Tuesdays only, and claimants must schedule an appointment.
PA CareerLink® prepares Pennsylvanians to meet the needs of businesses and matches employers with qualified, skilled candidates. Some of the free career-building and other services provided include:
- Resume building/posting/submitting workshops
- Mock interviews
- Job search and training assistance
- Adult education classes and workshops
- Career fairs
- Referral services to partners
As of this week, the following locations are also offering in-person assistance for UC claimants by appointment. To schedule an appointment, please contact the PA CareerLink® directly.
- PA CareerLink® Somerset Co., 6022 Glades Pk., Ste. 100, Somerset, PA 15501 | 814-445-4161
- PA CareerLink® Allegheny East, 2040 Ardmore Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15221 | 412-436-2225
- PA CareerLink® Pittsburgh/Allegheny Co., 304 Wood St., Pittsburgh, PA 15222 | 412-552-7100
- PA CareerLink® Fayette Co., 112 Commonwealth Dr., Lemont Furnace, PA 15456 | 724-434-5627
- PA CareerLink® Greene Co., 4 W. High St., Waynesburg, PA 15370 | 724-852-2900
- PA CareerLink® Mon Valley, Donora Industrial Pk., 570 Galiffa Dr., Donora, PA 15033 | 724-379-4750
- PA CareerLink® Washington Co., 90 W. Chestnut St., Ste. 150 LL, Washington, PA 15301 | 724-223-4500
- PA CareerLink® Westmoreland Co., 151 Pavilion La., Youngwood, PA 15697 | 724-755-2330
- PA CareerLink® Alle-Kiski, 1150 5th Ave., Ste. 200, New Kensington, PA 15068 | 724-334-8600
- PA CareerLink® Beaver Co., 285 Beaver Valley Mall, Rte. 18, Monaca, PA 15061 | 724-728-4860 x 215
- PA CareerLink® Delaware Co., 701 Crosby St., Ste. B, Chester, PA 19013 | 610-447-3350
- PA CareerLink® Bucks Co., 1260 Veterans Hwy., Bristol, PA 19007 | 215-781-1073
- PA CareerLink® North Philadelphia (Esperanza), 4261 N. 5th St., Philadelphia, PA 19140 | 215-967-9711
- PA CareerLink® Northwest Philadelphia, 5847 Germantown Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19144 | 215-987-6503
- PA CareerLink® West Philadelphia, 3901 Market St., Philadelphia, PA 19104 | 215-473-3630
- PA CareerLink® Philadelphia Suburban Station, 1617 JFK Blvd., Ste. 200, Philadelphia, PA 19103 | 215-557-2592
MEDIA CONTACT: Alex Peterson, firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #